Monday, March 29, 2010

The Frustration of it All

I have just finished quilting a lap quilt for my mother and I'll tell ya, it is not the best thing I have done.

The quilt is a Friendship Basket pattern and I wanted to do some echo stitching around the basket handle but when I tried it on the first block it looked horrible. I ended up taking out a lot of the quilting and starting over with just free motion stitching. I know that Mom will enjoy the quilt, I just wish I could have done a better job.

Before I quilt anything else I will do some practicing on whole cloth. I want to learn how to make feathers, flowers and leaves. I need to get online and check out some of the sites that have machine quilting. Maybe I can find some videos to watch. I think I'll try some sketching on paper tonight just to get an idea about the flow of the stitching.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I can get my stitches even but I'm horrible at the design itself. I tend to quit breathing and get jerky. Practice does seem to help. I think you did a fine quilting job from what I can see. I think we're often much harder on ourselves than we need to be.