Thursday, February 17, 2011

What A Mess! Washing Fabric

I always wash my fabric before I start a new quilt.  I have had this kit for a few years and wanted to finally do something with it, so I decided to wash the fabric.


This is what my fat quarters looked like after I took them out of the dryer.  All knotted together with loose strings.  Why I did not clip the edges is beyond me.  Oh well, with a little snipping of threads, a little spray starch and a little ironing I am ready to start cutting my pieces.

They look almost like they came straight out of the package.  I must remember to prep my fabric before I wash it.  It would save time in the end.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

That looks like a lot of work. I don't wash fabrics at all and haven't had any problems. I either use a color catcher or Retain.

Your fabrics are really pretty! I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with them.

fabricpixie said...

I've had similar 'nests' when pulling out of the washer and have to cut off all the offensive threads. Don't know why, but using pinking shears on edges or snipping edges doesn't work that much better for me.

Once I've separated and cut off the threads, I toss them in the dryer, they come out NOT being in nests again, that is a relief.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA