Saturday, April 9, 2011

No Babies This Year!

I woke up this morning to find that "something" had stolen all of the eggs from the Canadian Goose nest.  I always check her first thing in the morning and noticed she wasn't on the nest.  I kept looking for her to come back but she never did.  After a few hours I went over to the nest and everything was gone.  She has made her nest on our pond for the past 5 or 6 years and we have never had a problem, until now.  I am so disappointed because I watched her and her mate everyday.  I can't imagine what would be able to carry off all of her eggs. What ever it was, Raccoon, Skunk or something else they must have had a time.  She usually lays about 7 or 8 each year. There are 2 couples still hanging around the pond and there is one loner so I don't know if she is gone as well or not.  Sometimes nature really gives me a fit.  There are usually other nests around the farm so I'm hoping I will still get to watch some grow up and learn to fly this year.

No comments: