Monday, February 20, 2012

Tuesday Treasure

Ok, I know, it's Monday 5:22pm central time, but I want to share my Tuesday Treasure with everyone this evening.  Melody at House on the Side of the Hill in Australia always shares a Tuesday Treasure.  If you would like to share something pop over to her site and join in.

Today I'm sharing my grandmother's hat.  I can't tell you how old it is, but I know she wore that hat during the summer, while working in the garden, fishing and painting.  She was always painting furniture.


She was a wonderful woman, born in Dec. 1900 and lived 82 years. I think of her often, sitting in her rocker, reading her victorian novels.  I ask her one time for something to read and she said I could pick one but they were pretty risque'.  God love her, I just giggled at that.   She lived with us after my grandfather passed and one day I came home all upset over some boyfriend that I had split with and I will never forget her words to me.  She said, "Everyone makes mistakes, you just have to chalk them up to experience, learn from it and keep on living."  I can't tell you how many times I have repeated those words.  So simple, but so true.

If you don't climb the mountain, you can't view the plain.

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'll bet that hat could tell some wonderful stories. A lovely keepsake.

KAYLEE said...

Lovely story Kathleen.

Gin said...

How wonderful that you still have the hat... and what wonderful wisdom she shared. I love the photos of your studio!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful post Kathleen. I wonder what her version of 'risque'was. I think we were lucky to have such loving grandparents. Great treasure.

Melody said...

What a beautiful post and what a sage lady,

Janet said...

This hat reminds me of the one my DH's grandmother wore in the garden and on her walks. How wise these women were.

Val said...

A lovely treasure to remind you of your grandmother. She sounds like she was a feisty one :)