Saturday, December 22, 2012

Family Traditions

My mother loved Christmas. Every year she made Egg Nog and the refrigerator was the first place we went. We just had to have a glass. When I was little my grandmother made it and my grandfather would add Old Yellowstone whiskey to his. I don't think they make that brand anymore so now we use Jack Daniels. Just about a tablespoon added to a glass and one sip will take me back in time to Christmas pasts.

Times have changed, loved ones have passed but memories will always remain.

If you have never had Egg Nog, give this one a try. It's much better than store bought and who knows, you just might start a new tradition for Christmas.

I would love to hear about your favorite family tradition. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm so glad you have your family egg nog recipe!

We have a couple of food traditions - one being my grandmothers dressing. When the kids were little, they always opened up a present on Christmas Eve and it was always holiday PJs. My boys aren't married but grown and they always help decorate the family tree. So many little things we do during the holidays that mean so much.

cityquilter grace said...

what a heartwarming momento, among many others i'm sure, but there's something about handwritten recipes that soothe the sorrow...i have a cookbook my grandmother gave me in which she wrote and it makes me feel close to her always...

Vic in NH said...

Hiya Kat! I copied your yummy sounding recipe for next year but I'm confused about WHEN exactly I'm supposed to add the beaten egg yolks into the mix? Thanks if you can clarify!