Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Abby's First Quilt

What a fun day I had with my granddaughter, Abby.  Usually when she comes I let her hang out on the couch, watching TV or playing on the computer.  Yesterday I decided we were spending the day in my studio.  I told her she could paint, draw, make an art journal or sew.  She started looking around at everything and found this bug fabric I had.  I told her she could make a quilt out of it if she wanted to and that was all it took.


I set her up on a machine, gave her a scrap piece to practice on while I cut the strips.  Once that was done I had her chain piecing her blocks and sashing.  Then she would press them out.


She would put her blocks back up on the wall to make sure they were in the correct order.  Then we would take a set down and she would go back to sewing.  I did not fuse with her about the seams being absolutely perfect.  I wanted her to have fun and enjoy the process.  There were a few times I had to remove some stitches and let her redo the seam. She had to add a strip on one side to make a row wide enough but all in all she did a great job.


She was so excited and patiently waited for her mom to come and see what she had done.  The she told her since she had saved her money she wanted to buy a machine and start sewing.  The next time she comes she is adding the borders and then I will quilt it for her.  We had a great day together, one I will remember for a long time.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Abby did a brilliant job. Please tell how impressed I am at her beautiful first quilt.

John'aLee said...

i love your post! I think it's so important that we pass on our love of sewing and quilting to the next generation.