Monday, July 15, 2013

Passing It On

This month has been a difficult one for Ricky, myself and our family.  We lost his mom on Sunday, June 30th to Leukemia.  She was a great mom to 6 boys and 1 girl.  She was the one that helped spark my interest in quilting back in 1995 after we married.

Yesterday we all met at her house so they could decide what to do with her things.  I mentioned to Ricky that I would love to have any quilting items that she had. 

I was sitting on the front porch with 2 of my sister-in-laws and Ricky came out with this shoe box. 

It was full of thread and a few other items like quilt pencils and that small lint roller.  There's no telling how many times she has used that thing to pick lint off of her quilts.  A few minutes later he's back out there with this.

Martha's sewing basket.  It still has quilt pieces in it from the last quilt she made.  I don't know if you're familiar with those precut pieces you could find at flee markets or not, but that is what is in there.  I think they were cut from sheeting fabric. 

The best surprise was the quilt that she made from that set.  When we got ready to leave Ricky came out with that quilt.  He said I should add it to my collection.  I'm going to clean it before I take a picture.  It's a Dresden Plate and she used black thread for the blanket stitch around each block.

I am honored to have just a part of her and will cherish her memory for years to come.

No comments: