Friday, August 9, 2013

Gone Swimmin'

 Ricky and I have had a pair of Emu's for about 17 years.  This year they hatched out 4 babies.  A few weeks ago we moved them to the field right behind our house.  Today I have had the "blahs" but while I was in my studio doing some embroidery, I looked out the window and a big smile came across my face. 

Mom or Dad and a little one in the pond.

Next thing I knew they all were in the pond but one.  I guess it said, "hey wait for me", because it headed for the water as soon as it noticed what the rest were doing.

 This is the first time I have seen them in the water. 
 
 They would sit for awhile and then stand up and walk around.
 
 I have to say, the parents are very good at teaching. 
 
 Finally, a couple of the little ones decided it was time to get out.
 
 So they headed for the bank.
 
 An like "clockwork", one by one they all got out of the water.
 
This was such a treat for me to see.  Ricky had told me they got in the pond, but this is my first time catching the whole family in at the same time.  It's like Mom/Dad is saying, "come on let's go".  Life on the farm is a blessing to me.  Just when I need it, I receive a gift from God and all is well again.

1 comment:

rose of Walk in the Woods, LLC said...

WHat a fabulous gift, indeed!
Thanks for sharing it with us!