Monday, August 19, 2013

String Blocks

Today I started on 64 string  blocks.  I have never stitched this type of block because I always took the easy way out and just cut squares.  This time I decided I would play along with everyone else.
I'm still working on a mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter titled Orca Bay and the strings are step 4 out of 8.  That tells you how far behind I am.  You can find the pattern for this quilt in her new book String Fling.

I found an old book that was big enough to cut my 5.5"  and 3.5" squares from.  So off I go to FedEx Kinko's and the young man cut them for me and gave me all the left over pieces.  I got my machine all set up with red thread on top and in the bobbin.  It's a good way to use up old stuff and started sewing.  Well, here they are, not all 64 but 4. 

These are the 5.5" blocks.  The 3.5" blocks will be in shades of blue and that's on down the road.
I'm going to look through my fabric to see if I can find some other values or shades of red to use.  I kinda' like sewing this way.  It's actually freeing to me because I don't have to worry about matching anything. 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Your blocks look great. String piecing is addictive. You can't stop with one! I have another string one in the works....just a couple of blocks every day or so satisfies me.

Melody said...

Gorgeous string blocks