Monday, September 9, 2013

Update on Ironing Board

Today I worked most of the time taking off layer after layer of fabric on the ironing board.  About 5 or 6 layers down I uncovered this writing on the small end of the board.

 I could not believe what I was seeing.  The names: Bill Farris, Reeves Wilson, Thelma Farris, Ginniv Wilson and Pearl K.  I enhanced the photo so you can see the names.  I know that the second name is Reeves Wilson and the fourth name is Ginniv Wilson, his wife.  They were related to Ricky.  I don't remember Reeves but Aunt Ginniv was a quilter and she and Martha, Ricky's mother would quilt together.  As well as other women in the church.

 I have been told that Thelma was Ginniv's sister and she was married to Bill Farris.  Pearl K. was Thelma and Ginniv's mother.  That makes sense because their last name was Knight.  I'm still checking on that information before I record it in my journal.  I actually cut the piece and saved it.  I don't know what I'll do with it but I just couldn't throw it away.

 After a few more layers of, what looked like a muslin, I found this blanket. 

It was folded into four layers and then nailed and stitched together underneath the board.

 I had to save a few of the nails that were holding all of that together.  There were four different sizes plus two broken safety pins and two straight pins.  Oh, and there were two little black spiders that came out of the material.  I didn't save them but I'm sure they had a long life.

 So, after all of that here it is.  Actually, I think it's in great shape for its age.  I'm going to do a little research and maybe find out more about it.
.
I'm not sure about this lettering but I think it says Mills Transfer.  That's stamped on the large end of the board.
 This is a close up of the bracket that holds the legs in place.  Pretty neat, but the best of all......


 is the price tag, marked with 88 cents, I found still glued on the bottom of the board.  Again, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Imagine paying 88 cents for an ironing board. I wish I knew how old it was.

I put quite a bit of time into this project but I can't be more pleased than I am now.  I am so glad that I took my time instead of just ripping everything off.  So today, I have received another life lesson and this one is about taking your time because you never know what's hiding underneath.  Don't just throw it away because it's old.  Some things can be made new again.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

A great lesson for us all. The treasures may be buried deep. One layer at a time can reveal so much. I am so glad you took this direction.

desertskyquilts said...

My wooden board is stored in Phoenix, and I miss it every day! I haven't been able to find another here in TN that is sturdy enough. What a find for genealogy! There has to be something wonderful you can do with that piece to preserve it!