Friday, November 1, 2013

Thread Art

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for a Thread Art class, by Lola Jenkins, on Craftsy.com.  I thought it would be fun to finally mix artwork with fabric.  I printed off the instructions and watched all the videos.  Actually, I watched them about 3 times before I took the plunge.

 First I traced off the design.  I wanted to use the teachers pattern because it was the Girl with the Pearl earring and I have already painted her in oils. Check out my Paintings page if you want to see her in oils.

The next step was to cover the tracing with thread by free motion stitching.  After that I had to fill in the background.  I wasn't too happy with my stitching but I went ahead and finished that part.

I used Prismacolor pencils and a blender pen to color everything in.  The instructor used a blender pencil but I didn't have one.  When I went to the store to buy one I found a set that had a blender pencil, blender pen, drawing pencil, pencil sharpener and 2 erasers.  The only thing I didn't like about the blender pen is it caused the color to run if I used too much.  It could have been the fabric but I don't think so. I think it was the operator of the pen, me.  I still didn't like the background stitching so I went over it with black acrylic paint.  Now the only part left is how to finish off the edges.  Should I use ribbon, yarn, fabric binding, or maybe a combination of yarn and decorative thread using a zig zag stitch?  I'll have to think about it for awhile.

I enjoyed the process and the videos were very well done.  Check out the website, there might be something there that would interest you.

No comments: