Monday, February 3, 2014

Ceiling Quilt Blocks

At the end of 2013 Ricky and I decided to have our attic sprayed with this new type of foam.  Our home


was built way back when and the attic had very little, if any, insulation in it.  When they came to give us an estimate, they told us we would have to cut a hole in the ceiling in order to reach all of the areas of the attic.  Okay, we went with it and had them come but we ended up with two holes in the ceiling.  Ricky wanted me to paint a couple of barn quilts of wood and that is what we used to cover the holes.

I found the pattern I wanted to use.  We went to Lowe's and purchased the wood, which Ricky cut into two pieces,  and the paint.  It took me a few minutes to figure out the angles, but once I got it started everything fell into place.  I used a pencil to mark my sections with the color of paint and started working.  If you do this make sure you erase your notes before you start painting.  That way you don't have to worry about the pencil bleeding through.

The hardest, and scariest, part was Ricky on a 6ft. ladder, reaching out over the stairway, trying to screw the boards into the ceiling.  I would stand in a chair and help hold them up while he attached them.  All in all, we made it and I have to say they look pretty good up there.  Of course, no one will ever see them because we don't use the upstairs and we don't have that many visitors.  Ricky said I needed to paint the screw heads to match the pattern but I'm not climbing a ladder for that. No way!  I like them just the way they are. 

2 comments: