Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Precious Possessions

The other day I received an email from Lesley Riley, which included a video Making plans for your precious possessions on you tube by a lady named Susan Lenz.  I could not get her talk out of my head.  The next day I was in my studio dusting off my grandmothers old rocker and bringing out my can of paint.
 I spent the morning painting this chair and while I did that I thought of all the memories that were held within this piece of furniture.  My grandmother reading risque Victorian novels.  The first night my daughter, Amanda came home and I held her and rocked her to sleep.  My nephew, Shawn, helping to feed her, patting her head and holding her tiny fingers.  This was a precious possession and lately it held nothing but dust, dirt and spider webs.

Not anymore, as I set the pot of flowers down in the seat I could feel my grandmother saying, "thank you, for giving this a new life."  It now sits on my patio where I enjoy the colors and the memories that come to mind when I see it.  If you have time, check out Susan's video.  She is an artist that uses others precious possessions to create amazing items.  It will be worth your time.

No comments: